family beach.JPG

Hi.

Welcome to our blog. We document our family adventures in travel and food. Hope you join us as we #DrinkwineTogether!

The darker side of travel...

The darker side of travel...

Frustration. Tears. Anger. Anxiety. Tension. White knuckles. 

These are typically the opposite traits one thinks of when one sees pictures of tropical destinations with sun-kissed beaches, breathtaking vistas, natural hot springs, picturesque seascapes, and a once in a lifetime trip around the world. However, these are precisely some of  the emotional traits we have experienced in just a little over a week of our traveling adventure. To say we are learning about ourselves and about our family as a whole would be an understatement. So far, our journey has unpacked for us many undesirable attributes for which we are forced to wrestle with and we are not so sure it would be so, if we were still in the comfortable confines of our home city, home state, and home country. 

We are so thankful for the hundreds of friends, family, acquaintances, and even strangers who are following our journey on social media. It is truly special to engage with so many from around the world. We have been encouraged by comments, messages, emojis (yes, even some emojis) and more. It does not take long for one to come to a conclusion that we are having a great time. The truth is... WE ARE! We are having a great time. If I had to quantify the percentage of our time as categorized by pure joy, bliss, smiles, positivity, happiness, etc; I would say it is about 90% of what we experience. Then, there is the darker side. The darker side comprised of those ugly, sick, sad, unfortunate moments of emotion account for the remaining 10% of our time. 

On last Tuesday, I shared we would be dedicating one day a week (on Tuesday) which we are titling #RealTalkTuesday for which we will capture honest moments. Moments that are the ugly under belly of our lives. The real story here is that the life we have chosen (and it is a choice) is one that is different. It is one of adventure. It is one of risk-taking. It is one of amazing moments. And yet, in those moments, the life we have chosen to travel as a family of four around the globe is wrought with almost paralyzing negative emotions that we were not prepared for. It is actually incredibly hard to capture in written form. It is probably more difficult to capture in spoken word. However, the journey we are on is, in fact, unveiling some things in our life that need to be dealt with. We are grateful we are faced with the opportunity to confront demons. It is one of the best gifts provided to us so far. If it is true that "Life is not about the destination but the journey," then we have received what we've asked for. This journey is giving us a lot of ups. With those ups, it is giving us a lot of downs. It is in those downs, where we are learning how to live life to the fullest. 

In a social media post this past week we shared this thought, "(We are) quickly learning worries and concerns are everywhere. We have them here too. (We are) finding more and more that peace of mind is a state of mind... not geographical but rather spiritual and psychological." 

Our hope for all of us, no matter where we are located geographically; chilling on a beach, living in a sweet Southern city, hustling in a vibrant metropolis, soaking in the rural vibes of farmlands, making it work in South America, getting things done in a mid-Western town, living your dream in a foreign land, traveling the globe, or just hanging out at your local coffee shop, my hope is that we wrestle. We wrestle with our demons. We look them head on and we deal. Eleanor Roosevelt is credited with charging us to "do one thing a day that scares you." Maybe today is the day you do that one thing, make that change, take that trip, resign from that job, talk to that one individual you need. I pray for peace of mind for you, for us, for our families. Until next time, let's keep pushing forward and #DrinkwineTogether

***Kaydee came across the photo we connected to this post above. She came across this print while walking in the City of Porto. She saw it and had to snap a pic because it is so relatable. It sums up our lives in a very few words. As we take risks and we face our fears, let's all remember to... fail better. 

When time does NOT fly

When time does NOT fly

Week 1 in the Azores was amazing! Here are some highlights...

Week 1 in the Azores was amazing! Here are some highlights...